Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What Makes You Happy?


“But behold there never was a happier time among the people of Nephi, since the days of Nephi, than in the days of Moroni…” (Alma 50:23)

Moroni was a strong Nephite leader during the great wars between the Nephites and the Lamanite—awful wars full of hatred and death. Yet, somehow, it was during these great wars that the Nephites were happiest. This begs the question: What makes you happy?

Is it the place you live, the food you eat, or the people you’re with? Is it the weather? The time of day?

My happy memories have all been at different times and places, and with different people. Sometimes, I have been in a very pleasing environment, and felt blue. Sometimes, I’ve been through a lot of stress, and felt joy.

I remember lazy summer days, sleeping in until noon, and beautiful weather outside. I would feel miserable all day, when there was no reason to be sad. Other days, when I had someplace to go and something to do, I’d feel so much more content with myself, and I was much more pleasant to be around.

I think it all boils down to personal righteousness. If God is pleased with what we are doing, His sweet joy is passed on to us through the Spirit. If we have a Christ-like attitude toward ourselves and other people, it is so much easier to feel happy.

That doesn’t necessarily mean we can’t feel pain and sorrow. It simply means that our external circumstances do not determine our happiness. The way we deal with them does.



And...since you're already happy from all the good things you've been doing, prepare to be delighted! Here's a singing alpaca :)


No comments:

Post a Comment